Friday, August 21, 2009

Oak City Days

Another family tradition that Mitch and I went to this summer was Oak City Days. Mitch's Grandma Schmutz was raised in Oak City. She lives in St. George in the winter and Oak City in the summer. She still lives in the little house she was raised in too! I took a picture of the house, but somehow it got erased! The house in half underground, half above. When you look at it from the front, it seriously looks like someone chopped off the bottom half of the house... because all you see are some windows right above the ground, and then the roof!! It's awesome. Anyways, the city has a celebration every year which includes a parade, movies at the park, a big lunch, and a little craft fair type of thing at the park. We drove up on Friday evening after I got off work, and JUST missed the parade :( We visited with the family, ate dinner, and then drove up the canyon to set up camp. Mitch's family always camps together since the house only has two bedrooms. We roasted marshmellows and got to visit for a while before we went to bed. The next morning after we had breakfast and got ready, we went down to the park to see if there was anything we "needed" to buy at the booths. Amazingly, I refrained from spending any money. Grandma Schmutz's house is only about a block from the park (in reality, everything is a block from the park because the town is so small!!) which made it easy to walk down to the festivities about 5 different times within 2 hours. Did I mention that it's pretty small? Everybody is at the park pretty much the whole time... but there still isn't a lot to do, other than visit. It was really fun though :) Needless to say, we'll be back next year!


Some buffalo on the road up the canyon


The only store in town... which is 3 houses down from Grandma's house


I just thought this was cute :)



The booths at the park






This is in Grandma's backyard... it used to be the town post office!



We stopped at the Cheese Factory in Beaver on our way home...



And this is why!! They have some of the best ice cream!! Mitch looks like he's really concentrating huh?! haha




And he kinda looks like he's in pain in this one :) I promise that it's worth stopping for! So yummy!




No comments: